The dog is a small companion that helps the Monarch to foresee where the greed are coming from by barking in that direction. This is especially useful just before a Blood Moon night attack, when only one wave will strike the Kingdom.
The dog does not engage in any form of combat, much like villagers and farmers.
“ Dog is the real MVP.—Angelica „
The dog is found stuck under a fallen tree within a forests. Dropping a coin on the tree, breaks it and frees the dog, who will follow the Monarch from that point on, even between lands by boarding the boat as it sets sail. The coin used remains on the ground and can be recovered right away.
Keeping it safe
If the Monarch crosses an active portal, a greedling may spawn just when the pup reaches the portal and take him. To prevent that, one should avoid exploring behind portals after midday or follow one of these strategies (listed from the slow-costly-safe on top, towards the fast-cheap-risky on bottom):
- stop before the portal, drop a coin, wait for a greedling to pick it up, then run past the portal.
- drop one or two coins at the portal without stopping.
- with a very fast mount (for example, the stag) just run, run, and drop no coins.
The dog can be kidnapped by a greedling, that will try and flee with it into a portal. It is possible though to save the dog if military units or a mount with an agressive ability can neutralize the greedling before it crosses the portal goo. If the dog is taken away, a new one won't appear on that land.
Kingdom: New Lands – A new dog will be found in every new island, even if the Monarch already brings a dog with them. Freeing the newer animal though will result in the old dog running away and disappearing. A kidnapped dog can not be rescued.
Besides killing the greedling that stole the dog, there are other two ways to get the dog back. The first one is to lose the crown (or crowns if playing in co-op) and then to go back to the second island to free a new dog stuck under the trunk. The second way is to destroy the cave with a bomb on the island the dog was kidnapped. If the Monarch escapes the explosion, they will find the stolen dog in front of the destroyed cave, along with any hermits and gems that may likewise have been stolen on that island.
Version 1.0.1 (Xbox and PS4): There is no way to recover the dog.
- There is a humorous visual glitch, where the dog normally jumps on to the boat last second, when departing. However, if the Monarch can get a large distance from the dog (via rebuilt portals or very quick mounts), the dog will leap an enormous amount and seemingly in a flash it is on the boat.
- If the Greed is attacking from both sides of the map, the dog will bark in one direction first, proceeding to turn and bark in the other afterwards.
|Apr 20, 2021||All||1.1.9||Dog will take shelter behind the Ruler when the greed are nearby.|
|Jan 14, 2021||All||1.1.7||Dog will remain loyal to the ruler that released it in co-op.|
|Aug 29, 2019||All||1.0.4||Dog AI changes that will make the dog stick closer to the Monarch, introduce a couple of new behaviors to help the Monarch and improvements to make the dog's purpose clearer to the player.|
|Aug 9, 2016||PC||1.0.0||Introduced.|
- While constantly disputed amongst many forums, sites and various talk pages, the dogs "job" is to warn the Monarch of attacking Greed by barking in the direction of where they are attacking from. However, this is consistently fought over due to "buggy AI systems" and "Lack of Evidence", but has been confirmed by developers themselves that this is its job.
- Developer Angelica on a . 16 September, 2020.
- As seen in this v. 1.1.3). October 2020. , where the lizard is used (three times!) to burn greedlings that try to take the dog away, in a Shogun co-op campaign (Two Crowns