- Not to be confused with counterattacks after destroying a portal, which also makes the moon turn red in newlands Kingdom: New Lands.
The Blood Moon is a night-time event that is characterized by an unusually large assault of enemies. Unlike regular nights, when the Greed may attack from both sides, blood moon attacks are only ever from one side.
During a Blood Moon, the sky and the moon both acquire a red hue, with ominous ambiance and music accompanying the changes, often catching a new monarch unaware if they've never experienced the event before.
When the Blood Moon wave is released from a portal, a deep rumbling or grinding sound can be heard. If the nearest portals are far away, the wave will be released before night falls and the sound can be an early warning for the Monarch.
In newlands Kingdom: New Lands, if all portals have been destroyed, the moon will not turn red and no monsters will spawn, but there will still be a storm and the Blood Moon music will play that night.
All Blood Moon events will happen after five or six normal days. So the first Blood Moon will take place on Day V or VI. If it happens on Day V, the second will take place either on Day X or Day XI. If the 1st happened on Day VI, the 2nd will take place on Day XI or XII; and so on.
If the Monarch wants to track more precisely when the Blood Moon will come, they'll need to take notes about the last time it happened.
Blood Moons are usually preceded by rainy or cloudy weather, as well as being fairly predictable by the frequency in which they occur.
|1st||Features only high amounts of regular greedlings.|
|3rd||Will usually include floaters.|
|5th||Breeders join in the attacks as well.|
The attacks scale in number over time, much like regular attacks, making it a formidable challenge to overcome in later days, particularly after Day XXX.
The Next Night Edit
All portals exhaust their resources to fuel the Blood Moon wave and so will shut down for the subsequent day, which prevents the regular monster's wave from spawning the next night. So, after each Blood Moon the kingdom will witness a day, a night and another day without attacks from the Greed. The only exception to this is when on Skull Island, where the nights after Blood Moon nights are treated as normal nights.
The extra time may be useful to (listed from the least to most aggressive):
- reconstruct the walls, recruit and equip townsfolk that may have lost their tools and coins during the Blood Moon attack;
- deforest far from the village, as builders will have enough time to return to safety — this may be particularly useful to deforestations starting from a grass field far after a wood section, to prevent the destruction of a vagrant camp or a merchant settlement adjacent to the town;
- expand the kingdom frontiers, building a wall very far from the already stablished walls — this will give an extra time for builders to upgrade the wall to tier 4, and for knights, archers and catapult to join the new defense point;
- seize a portal very far from the kingdom frontier — the extra time will allow knights to arrive at the portal without having to fight the regular monster would normally appear. Note that attacking the portal will still release enemies and a retaliation wave will still appear if the portal is destroyed.
If the Monarch chooses the more aggressive option, the portal being attacked still will spawn greedlings to defend itself. And if the portal is destroyed, the counterattack will still follow as normal.
- As of the Kingdom 1.2 Beta, rare occasions can see multiple blood moons in rapid succession. This feature persists into the Kingdom: New Lands.
|Kingdom Wiki Pages|
|Knights||The Financier / Banker||The Merchant||Hermits|
|Siege Workshop & Catapult||The Boat|
|Vagrants (Camps)||Wildlife||Mounts||Architecture Shrine|
|Blazons||Islands||Daycycle & Seasons||Vendors & Tools|
|Coins||Tax Chest||Patch Notes||Achievements|